More complex claims need more time and attention
Where we deem a claim to be more complex than a standard claim, we reserve the right to review and recommend an additional ‘complex claim’ fee.
There are a number of factors that can mean a particular company or claim requires specific expertise and time to resolve. These more complex claims take more time, and we need to levy a surcharge to avoid raising the base fee to cope with the variance. We feel this is the most fair and equitable approach.
How will our specialists determine and communicate ‘complex claims’
We will aim to identify these ‘complexity issues’ up front and advise whether a complexity is significant enough to require additional resolution time and cost. The more information you can provide us upfront, the less likely it is that we uncover these difficulties after the claim progress has been started, so we encourage early discussion.
To determine whether a claim may have ‘complexities’, we will undertake the standard claim eligibility review as well as a complexity review. So you will still know your expected fee upfront.
Transparency is core to the Nifty Grants business so we will advise you if a complexity surcharge is required for your claim as soon as possible in the process.
What is a ‘complex claim’?
Examples of complex claims present with factors such as:
- Nested corporate structures with significant cross-charges and loans
- Trusts and parent companies with varying tax arrangements
- Core activities that involve overseas entities or sub-contractors
- Government grants received for R&D activities
- Multi-year feedstock adjustments or payments to associates
- Significant commercial activities alongside the R&D activities
If we can resolve the complexity with a simple question and answer then it won’t impact your fees.
Options for customers with complex claims
With ample information upfront, our team will determine if your claim is complex and will require more time as soon as possible.
In the case one of our R&D Tax specialists deems your claim to be complex, you have two options:
- Allow us to proceed with the standard review process with additional time and attention given to your claim. For this, you will be charged the complexity fee of $1,000 (plus GST) if you claim is below $300,000
- Where your R&D Tax specialist believes it is feasible to resolve the complexity issue quite simply, we can resolve these issues through our standard review services. Note that this option may not be suitable for every customer, please consult with your specialist.
Need more information?
Leave us a message, with complete detail of your question, in the Ask for help box in the bottom right of your screen and we'll be in touch.